Friday, January 8, 2010

Kitty Kat Soup, Any Takers?

Driving up from Missoula this morning, I saw a mountain lion hanging from this homestead head gate.  Thankfully I had my small camera in the car so I flipped a quick U-turn and snapped this picture.  Thought some of you might be interested.  These folks are avid hunters and this is the fourth year I've seen a lion hanging in their yard.  
Mountain lions thrive in the Swan Valley because we have one of the most dense whitetail deer populations in Montana.  With that said, these big cats are rarely seen.  In 10 years of living in Montana, I've seen them a handful of times.  In the winter, their tracks are around the lodge and cabins.  Sort of creepy!  I catch myself looking up and behind me as I snowshoe.  In the summertime, guests worry about Grizzly bears, however, I caution them to be aware of lions.  Humans are prey to a mountain lion, but with a bear, we're merely a threat.  
The second picture was taken today from Highway 83, just before the turnoff to Holland Lake Lodge.  If you look at the pass in the  mountains, the lodge and lake are just below.  The far peak behind the pass stands above Upper Holland Lake, six miles from the lodge and ten miles from the highway.  
P.S.  Don't forget, you may always click on the each picture to view them in larger format.  I think the one of the mountain lion is sort of small on the blog.  

4 comments:

Tonette Time said...

Seeing one hanging up like that bums me out. I'm glad you took a picture, but no soup of that for me!

Holland Lake Lodge said...

Yeah, bummed me too! Actually thought twice about taking the picture.

Anonymous said...

You are such a descriptive writer.....makes me visualize from afar without having to look at the pictures....awesome!

Anonymous said...

I hope a mountain lion eats them someday !! Holland Lake Lodge is truly a magical place... wish I was there RIGHT NOW !!!
Me Love LONG TIME !!